My Trip To The DMV

I recently had the pleasure, I mean displeasure of going to renew my licence at the Department of Motor Vehicles. What I hope would take about an hour turned into a 4 hour nightmare. I have seen some disorganization in my day, but nothing compares to the lack of efficiency  I experienced during my wait.

One would think that getting to the DMV at 10:00 am in the morning would result in a fairly quick in and out process.  Boy was I in for a surprise!

It all started at check-in.  As the entry line wrapped from inside to outside, I noticed that there was only one person conducting the actual check-in to see where you needed to go next.  But for some reason there were two unmanned terminals that if manned would have cleared up the bottleneck at station number one.  The killer was that senior citizens were allowed to bypass the longer line and be serviced immediately.  Not that I’ve got it in for senior citizens, I just knew I needed to get in and out of this process as quickly as possible.  But of course that would not going to be the case.

Step two required me to go over to the get my picture taken for the new license line.  Holy S&*) was there another bottleneck of slowness created.  What caused this, another line with a lot of people was being serviced by one person. Not only was the line extremely long because it was serviced by one person,  but once again the senior citizens were allowed to pass in front of us.  After another hour in line, I had the honor of getting my picture taken. Oh did I forget to tell you when the second person arrived to man the other terminal, they had forgotten their log-on.  Once the other person decided to help them, that resulted in another 15-20 minutes of wasted time.

Once I moved into the mass of people sitting in the common area where they call your assigned number, I counted the stations available to service all of the people waiting.  The count was 10 stations.  Here’s the kicker, instead of staggering their lunches, 6 of the 10 people manning the stations left for lunch at the same time.  Which meant that 70-80 people waiting now had their wait extended.

My number was 253-B, and based on the number of people there and the speed  at which they were moving…my wait was going to be for a while.  It could not be further from the truth.

Because I’m not a sitter when I wait for the something I have a tendency to pace.  And boy did I pace a lot.  One person asked how many laps I had done, but the kicker was when one the DMV workers came out and asked me if I was alright.  I’m sure his question was centered around whether he thought I was ready to blow or not.  Once I shared with him that I am just not a sitter when I’m waiting he retreated back to his area once he knew the potential threat was compromised.

After the long wait and bottlenecks totaling four hours was over…I finally completed my renewal.  Holy S&*1@ what a crappy process manned by people who truly don’t give a rats pa-tutti about how long we have to wait.

I’m sure other readers would love to hear about your experiences about your trip to the DMV.  So please feel free to share?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *